Crock Pot Taco Soup
Recipe adapted from Peas and Thank You
This hearty nutritious soup is perfect for fall. It's delicious, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. It is also gluten-free (if made with gluten-free broth), dairy-free, and vegan (without the additional garnishes of sour cream and cheese). The soup is low in fat and moderate in sodium and is packed with fiber and protein-rich beans. If you're a meat lover you can add lean ground beef or turkey. The soup tastes even better the next few days and freezes/reheats wonderfully.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag frozen corn kernels
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (fire-roasted or regular), in juice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on high setting for 4-6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Garnish with a little sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado slices, a squeeze of lime, or chopped cilantro. It pairs well with tortilla chips, brown rice, or a piece of cornbread.
Emily McGourty is the LIS/Client Services Supervisor in the Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital laboratory. McGourty is pursuing her Master's degree in Food and Nutrition at Framingham State University.